Tuesday, September 8, 2015

She Had to Leave Los Angeles Roadtrip: Moab, UT, to Como, CO




















I start day #2 at the Apache Motel in Moab, UT. It's the first of my Native American-themed hotels on this run. The Apache's claim to fame is that John Wayne stayed there many times while he was shooting westerns in the area. There is even a John Wayne Suite, although I did not get to see it. I was in Moab primarily to see Arches National Park. My take on the geological story behind Arches is that the foundation of the structures is salt-based, which can't support the heavy rock structures. Crumbling rocks, wind, and water combine to create some amazing scenery.


















Broken Arch is pictured above.








Super-zoomed picture of Delicate Arch.







Windows Arches.

As you can see, some of the Arches you can walk right up to, and others are far away from easy access. But it's good, because far away equals better protection for these awesome natural resources.

After several hours driving around the Park, it was time to head the Mini toward my brother's house in Como, Colorado.

In Grand Junction, CO, I stopped at the Village Inn, a old-school-looking diner. I couldn't decide what I wanted, until I saw that I could get a half Reuben sandwich and a small Southwest salad combo. Yum!!! (I got an apple pie to-go to share with my brother, and I can tell you it was delicious!!)

I made it to Como after dark, and you'll get to read about that adventure in tomorrow's post.



No comments:

Post a Comment