Thursday, September 10, 2015

She Had to Leave Los Angeles Roadtrip: Como to Estes Park, CO

After another attempt at blowing my pipes at almost 10,000 feet in Como, it was time to head to Estes Park to really acclimate.
















I decided to take the scenic 285, as opposed to driving back through Breckenridge and taking the 70. Bonus - the Coney Island Hot Dog Stand was open! (It was buried in snow on my last trip.) Here you see me with my Rocky Dog with grilled onions and bell peppers, and topped with chopped tomatoes. YUM!! While I chowed, several other people stopped by, and I heard the "we ate here before it was in Bailey" stories, which would have been pre-2007. It dates back to 1966, with stops in Denver and Aspen Park, before landing here.

My next stop is Estes Park.
















This is the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, which was Stephen King's inspiration for "The Shining." I have a 4 p.m. tour reservation, and I'm looking forward to getting spooked!













They TOTALLY play it up, including this chocolate bar.
















Here's the not-as-scary version of the hedge maze.

The tour was information and fun, and I'm glad I was able to squeeze it in my busy Estes Park visit!

Coney Island Hot Dog Stand does not have a website. Street address is 10 Old Stagecoach Road in Bailey, CO.

Click here for the Stanley's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment