Monday, June 4, 2012

Roadtrip 2012: Holbrook, AZ

I'm taking a roadtrip across America, destination Indiana, for several reasons. Primarily, it is Relay for Life time with Team Lucas walking for the fifth time to raise funds and awareness for the American Cancer Society. I decided to drive this time and bring back some of my treasures abandoned/stored at my Mom's house for two decades. My brother also offered to work his mechanical magic on Lovey, as I was getting some sketchy input from the Jeep dealers on needing a new axel. (That's right, I'll drive across American for my bro to take a looksie at my car!) The direct route is the 40 to the 44 in Oklahoma City, which runs through all those Route 66 cities, to the 64 in St. Louis where I would head east (not that I took the direct route coming or going). With this ballpark plan to see some America in mind, bring on the kitsch!




















After flying through Cali, Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ came to mind for some lunch. Remember when I stayed at the Wigman in Rialto back in September 2010 during my Cee-dee's Big Adventure? I didn't plan to stay in Holbrook but assumed there would be some tasty chow nearby. (More to come on Holbrook!)
















Seeing this wall painting, I knew I was at the right place! Joe and Aggie's Cafe dates back to 1943 and is still owned and operated by Gallegos family. Two of the grandkiddies took my order and brought out the chips and salsa.
















This bean and beef burro (their word, not mine) with red chile, enchilada style. Dang, it was spicy, hot and delish! Properly fueled up, I'm back on the road.














Day one ended in Moriarty, New Mexico, outside Albuquerque.

Click here to go to Wigwam Motel's Web site.

Click here to go to Joe and Aggie's Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment