Thursday, June 7, 2012

Roadtrip 2012: Graceland and A&R Bar-B-Q

Day three was pretty uneventful and about putting in some miles to West Memphis, Arkansas. But today, the plan is to visit Graceland, find a pig sandwich and high-tail it to the Hoosierland.


















I've stopped at Graceland before but never took a tour, only food and shopping. Randomly, today is the 30th anniversary of Graceland's opening to the public, so the joint is crawling with news crews. Did you see me on any of the coverage? I'm taking the basic Mansion Tour, but the real fans make a day of it with the Platinum and Entourage VIP Tours.
















If you've never visited Graceland, you walk through the King's home, see his living room, his parents' bedroom, dining room, kitchen, TV room and of course his famous Jungle Room with the green shag carpeting on the floor, walls and ceiling.




















In his Music Room, the walls are covered with gold records and memorabilia, including this blingy guitar.




















In the former racquetball court, Elvis' splashy stage costumes are displayed, several with the video footage of the performance playing nearby.




















Finally, the gravesite. Of course, I have to think about Spinal Tap, with the lads harmonizing to "Heartbreak Hotel" and trying to not make it barbershop ra-ga. Sorry, Elvis fans, but you know how my brain works!

















Before leaving town, I had to try the famous Memphis-style pig sandwich, which is pulled pork with tangy sauce and topped with cole slaw (does my post on Cindy's Restaurant from March sound familiar?). This one is from A&R Bar-B-Q on Elvis Presley Blvd. A mess to eat but delish, and it is just fun to ask for a pig sandwich!














Woohoo, made it to Mom's house!

Click here to go to Graceland's Web site.

Click here to go to A&R Bar-B-Q's Web site.

1 comment:

  1. Hi - I am seeking your permission to use your awesome photo of the A&R BBQ pig sandwich, on behalf of my employer (a news network). Could you message me your preferred email address so I can get in contact with you and share more info?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete