Monday, August 30, 2010

"Caveman" at the Tar Pits

Last summer, I went to several screenings of the "B-Movies and Bad Science" films at the Natural History Museum. This year, they showed all the flicks outdoors. I blew them all off until last night's "Caveman," shown on the lawn at the La Brea Tar Pits, for my flashback drive-in experience.

In my youth, I lucked out. My Dad was a theater projectionist, which meant I got to go to the movie palaces (across the river in Louisville), as well as the drive-ins, on a regular basis. If I wanted to, I could sit inside the booth, away from the crowds in my personal screening room, or I could hang with the masses. I would have definitely watched "Caveman" multiple times during the summer of 1981, as it starred Dennis Quaid. Dennis was one of the stars of "Breaking Away," the 1979 film about four high school graduates trying to figure out what they were going to do with their lives. It was set in Bloomington, Indiana, a college town about 100 miles north of my smaller town. I still regularly watch "Breaking Away," just to keep it real. Hopefully, one of these days I'll figure out what I want to do when I grow up!

It was great fun to watch a cheezy movie with lots of other folks, while surrounded by gurgles of tar seeps. What movie would you like to see in a unique setting? Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment