Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Eaton Canyon Waterfall

I was needing a Lewis and Clark nature exploration and remembered the elusive Eaton Canyon waterfall. Located in the Pasadena/Altadena area, Eaton Canyon offers a range of guided hikes including California native plants, by moonlight, birds, family-oriented, and the waterfall. However, on this visit, I was initially on my own. My Corps of Discovery came together as I trudged on, first a young couple (I'll call them Sacagawea and Charbonneau), then two friends (hereby named Drouillard and Cruzatte), and we banded together in search of the waterfall. Note that explorers get to rock-hop the creek multiple times, so be sure to wear appropriate shoes. When you see the sign indicating the waterfall is 1/2 mile ahead, assume that distance is based on how the crow flies, and not your actual route. And just keep going. We had a benefit that Meriwether and William did not have -- we encountered folks on the return trip who could confirm our goal was ahead. And, unlike our heroes, the only hardship I suffered was the complete breakdown of my hiking boots! You'll probably still find parts of my lugsoles on the trail. But, if you do, you'll know you're heading the right direction.

Click here to go to their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment