Saturday, March 28, 2015

New Orleans - Day #2

So much is happening today! Instead of presenting it chronologically, I'm going to break it down categorically: food, music, and visuals. Let the games begin!













Since this is a key reason I'm in NOLA, this is a great place to start!


















And Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken from Memphis was my first stop. Yesterday, I had Willie Mae's, which was #2 on MSN.com's fantastic fried chicken survey. Today, it's Gus's at #1. And I totally get why Gus's is tops: the chicken is all spiced up BEFORE it is battered and deep fried. It burned my mouth from heat THEN burned my mouth from spice!!

Click here for Gus's website.




















Good thing the Plum Street Snoballs tent was close by to cool me down! This is the chocolate/peppermint concoction.

Click here for NOLA FoodFest's website.
















That night, we went to the fancy-schmancy Commander's Palace. Since 1880, Commander's Palace has been serving up fine southern food. It is also Zagat's top-rated New Orleans restaurant. Good stuff!! I was totally impressed by the service. If there was a table of four, four servers brought and presented the food simultaneously. Pretty cool, as I lean more to paper plates and vinyl tablecloths for my eats. Commander's Palace is in the Garden District, with the grand mansion-y houses. I'll need to make a return visit to explore!



















This is my Filet of Black Angus Beef: an 8 ounce chargrilled tenderloin of beef with roasted mushrooms, whiskey-smoked onions, French potato puree and tasso and white truffle marchands de vin. I'm not quite sure what all of that is, but it was incredible!!

Click here to go to Commander's Palace's website.















We capped off the night with the rest of NOLA for Cafe Du Monde beignets (I'm still finding powder sugar in random places!) and hot chocolate. Yummmm!!

Click here to go to Cafe Du Monde's website.

And, I promised you some music:























And yes, a bagpiper! This NOLA fireman played "When the Saints Go Marching In" to draw in a crowd for the Fire Department's fundraiser. What a hoot!!

The sights were pretty amazing, too!

The famous architecture is as cool as you imagine.






















Some of the buildings still burn gaslamps. I felt very Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde!



















Which brings us to the Pharmacy Museum, which is housed at the site of the apothecary of America's first licensed pharmacist. Prepare yourself for some wacky/quacky stuff: leeches, lead nipples for a baby's bottle, arsenic in makeup. We've come a long way, people!!

















Click here for the Pharmacy Museum's website.




















Finally, the money shot of St. Louis Cathedral and Andrew Jackson's statue in Jackson Square.

Are YOU having fun yet?!

No comments:

Post a Comment