Monday, April 12, 2010

Museum of Jurassic Technology




















As a museum junkie (and former Natural History Museum employee), I thought I'd seen it all when comes to museums. But, no, the Museum of Jurassic Technology really threw me for a loop!

Located on Venice Boulevard in Culver City, next door to a floor paneling shop, MJT is quite a different museum experience. I started my adventure watching a video about the early approach to museum collections coming from personal "curiosity cupboards." So far, so good, and I entered the exhibits. The layout was a bit maze-like and the galleries were very dark. I'm still not sure I saw everything. What I did see included: the mouse open-faced sandwich (for medicinal purposes), model home/trailer park miniature models, Soviet space dog portrait paintings, Wilson Observatory letters, microscopic artwork using the scales of butterfly wings, and a pincushion collection. Shown here is a fancy version that Miss Home Economics would be proud to use.

I walked away thinking about my curiosities - mainly the snowglobes and aluminum grease containers - and feeling pretty confident that they, too, could be deemed museum-worthy.

Click here to go to their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment