Thursday, April 15, 2010

First Congregational Church Pipe Organ
















As I've mentioned several times throughout this blog, I'm a huge pipe organ fan! When I have time Thursday noonish, I go to the First Congregational Church on Wilshire for their free midday organ recital. First Congregational has the largest church pipe organ in the world, and it is always an ear-opening experience!

I wish you could hear it, but this is the console for the organ where all the awesome sounds are produced. What you're seeing on either side of the keyboards are the stops, as in "pulling out all the stops." Stops control the pipes, so when they're pulled the pipes are playing. Underneath the seat is the foot board where the organist is manipulating all the levers below. I love watching their feet "dance" as they're playing away! There's a lot going on, and my eyes are just as engaged as my ears.

My first intro to First Congregational was on Halloween several years ago. They were screening the silent "Phantom of the Opera" movie with live organ accompaniment, for free I believe. Dang! The pews were literally vibrating from some of the notes. That's where I found out about the Thursday recitals, and I've been going since. Now that you know, I'll keep an eye out for you!

Click here to go to their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment