Monday, March 8, 2010

Olvera Street

When was the last time you visited Olvera Street, the birthplace of Los Angeles? I love strolling the aisles, mentally selecting my luchador mask, and seeing the festive papel picado banners, tissue paper flowers, and the beautifully decorated traditional clothing.

I'd never walked into the Avilo Adobe before, and it was cool to see how Angelenos lived in the 1840s. It is the oldest existing house in Los Angeles, and you can visit it for free, right there on Olvera Street.

And, you can't leave before getting a churro. This one was hot out of the fryer, not heat-lamped like some churros I've choked down. As I gave up cake, cookies, pie and ice cream for Lent (I'm not Catholic, but "Fat Tuesday" was a little too relevant this year!), the churro was a delicious escape from my snacking restrictions.

Also, the Blessing of the Animals is coming up the Saturday before Easter. Check that out for even more fun on Olvera Street!

Click here to go to their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment