Thursday, March 11, 2010

Downtown Art Walk

Looking for an excuse to wander the streets of downtown, peek into the various galleries, and take advantage of lots of food trucks? The Downtown Art Walk just might be your thing.

Scheduled the second Tuesday of each month, this time about 40 galleries participated. I strolled the core area area between Broadway and Main, and Third and Ninth streets. If a gallery was open, I popped in. I did a couple of laps, as there's no real set schedule for the Art Walk, so I caught different ones at different times. It was a wacky roll of the dice!

My favorite space this time was The Hive Gallery on Spring Street. They had multiple artists displaying "Alice in Wonderland" themed pieces. I loved this 3D piece, specifically Alice's Heat Miser hair as she's falling down the rabbit hole. The Cheshire Cat and playing cards appeared throughout the artwork. Fun and very timely, as the movie with Johnny Depp was just released.

I also liked the open-air lot with the artisans selling their t-shirts, jewelry, paintings and other crafts, along with the crucial kettle corn folks keeping the blood sugar momentarily modulated.

Now, for the food trucks. I know they're all the rage right now, and they were out in force. Much to my disappointment, I did not see the grilled cheese truck during my stroll. But, I did see Italian, kabobs, burgers, hot dogs, pizza (shouldn't they team up with the Italian truck?), tacos, and ice cream trucks, strangely parked in clusters. Maybe the more, the merrier?! Who knows? What I do know is that the Art Walk was an eye-opening experience, as I saw artwork I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise, and I saw my city in a whole new light. Well done, LA!

Click here to go to their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment