Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Griffith Park Hiking Trails













At last count, I've posted on eight attractions at Griffith Park. Number nine (and counting!) is the hiking trails.

GP offers more than 50 miles of trails, fire roads and bridle paths, all at no charge. I've hiked a lot of these trails, but I still have many miles to explore! The local Sierra Club chapter leads groups each Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, with different grades of difficulty depending on the leaders. They depart from the big parking lot by the Merry-Go-Round at 7 p.m.; expect a large turnout of devoted fans!

Lately, I can't seem to connect with the right pace group, so I've been hiking on my own. This switchback trail overlooks Glendale, and if you look closely, you can see the red-and-white roof of the MGR. From another vista, the skyscrapers of downtown and City Hall. Cool!

Although people are up and down these trails from dusk to dawn, please be prudent and stay aware of your surroundings. There are coyotes, snakes, poison oak and other potential dangers. And when the sun goes down, it is DARK!

I'm dusting of the Merrills now, thinking about the next outing. See you out there, and happy trails to you!

Click here to go to GP's hiking Web site.

Click here to go to Sierra Club's GP hiking Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment