Friday, July 15, 2011

Carmagettaway - Las Vegas














It's Carmageddon weekend, that dreaded 56-hour shutdown of the 10 miles of the 405 freeway between the 101 and the 10. A partial bridge demolition is scheduled and complete chaos is expected. Overwhelming warnings from the media to stay away have been blasting for months.

The Skirball was going to be closed that weekend, so I would get a random couple of days off. Being the ever-resourceful gal, I turned Carmageddon into a Carmagettaway, enlisting two of my midwest friends to come along for the ride.

We quickly developed a plan to see some geology and focused on Zion and Bryce National Parks. It seemed most efficient for them to fly into Vegas, one from Milwaukee and one from Chicago, and I would drive and pick them up.

By the time we met up in Vegas after planes and shuttles for them and 200 or so miles for me, we were all pretty famished. Hash Hash A Go Go at the M Hotel was our oasis in the desert. Here you see my salvation: the chorizo hash with jalapenoes and tomatoes served over roasty potatoes. That's a rosemary stalk inserted into a flaky biscuit, and my refreshing mint lemonade to wash it all down. Delish A Go Go!!

HHAGO has a "twisted farm food" bend to their food with lots dishes with Indiana-themed names. Although their Chef is also a Hoosier, I can attest that my people did not eat like this in the homeland. Which may have contributed to me leaving...

Next up, Zion National Park.

Click here to go to Hash House A Go Go's Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment