Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Diamond Bakery



















The lines were being drawn in the sand: Diamond Bakery on Fairfax versus Beverlywood Bakery on Pico. Passionate voices supported each side, with "the best ever" and other accolades being proclaimed. Something had to give...

I used to live at Pico and Doheny, so I was quite familiar with the goods at Beverlywood. However, I was meeting friends on Fairfax, and I needed some pastry for a work breakfast. I had to give Diamond a shot.

And, I'm pleased to say, Diamond was awesome! No pretensions, just a mellow bakery with amazing scents. Lots of samples to tease the taste buds. From my picture you can see some of the take: mini rugelach and hamantashin sold by the pound, chocolate chip danish, a black and white cookie (you may remember my fondness for the black and whites at Billy's in Glendale posted back in August), and a marble cake loaf. What you don't see is pastry ring drizzled in chocolate. I loved that it was tied with string; it is still knotted here because once that string broke I knew the pastry would be devoured. All this for less than $25!

To be fair, I'll need to revisit Beverlywood. Stay tuned for how this (b&w) cookie crumbles!

Diamond Bakery does not have a Web site. Street address is 335 N. Fairfax, and phone is 323-655-0534.

No comments:

Post a Comment