Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels

I'm on Jury Duty downtown today. It's raining, and both places where I wanted to lunch are closed. (One for the day, one for good!) Off I wander in the rain for someplace, well, blogworthy.

Then I heard the bells at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels. I knew they had a restaurant, and maybe I could get a pipe organ fix afterward!

While I was set to settle for a boring turkey sandwich, the Cathedral's Cafe Galero surprised me with this tasty BBQ chicken pizza and delish chicken pozole soup. I'm not a pozole expert by any stretch, but this one had cilantro, radishes, roasted peppers, corn, tomato, onion, cabbage, zucchini and tortilla strips and will be my new standard to measure other versions to. And the pizza, with the thin crust and roasted corn mingling with the usual suspects, raised the bar for other pizzerias.

As for the Cathedral itself - I just have to say it - that is not a pretty building. A concrete bunker and church just don't mix in my sensibilities. (Although I am remembering the heavenly sleep in the concrete Wigwam last month...) However, the pipe organ's sounds bouncing off those concrete walls was awesome!

So there you go. Did you score on anything blogworthy today?!

Click here to go to the Cathedral's Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment