Saturday, May 1, 2010

South Pasadena Eclectic Music Festival & Art Walk

When my little city of South Pasadena has something called an Eclectic Music Festival & Art Walk, you have to question how eclectic it's really going to be. It turned out to be pretty diverse from what I saw.

Now, right off the bat, I will share that this Art Walk was nothing like the Brewery Art Walk I strolled a few weeks ago. At just 3.44 square miles, South Pas doesn't have that many galleries and art studios, and certainly they're not all in the same complex. However, I've never noticed the quantities of exposed brick walls and loftish spaces before this event.

The music part was fun and random. I spent about an hour listening to a band named Wonk. Their bio described them as "vintage-inspired jazz funk, heavy on the groove." Think bow-chicka-bow-bow and wa-wa peddles with a saxophone thrown in for good measure. Next, I heard students from the Music Conservancy (who knew South Pas had a Music Conservancy?) do some Miles Davis-inspired tunes, and since Miles is one of my spirit guides, I definitely enjoyed that. Next up was the quartet Moira Smiley & VOCO; think Celtic Women vocal harmonies with accordian and banjo accompaniment. Finally, as it was getting dark and cold, I saw the pictured Double Naught Spy Car. What made them unique? Well, for starters, there's the lap steel guitar weaving crazy sounds into the punkish-jazzish-surfish original tunes, plus they are instrumental only. In total, there were 21 performances scheduled throughout the day at different locations. I walked home and thought, dang, that was eclectic!

Click here for the City of South Pasadena's Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment