Saturday, September 26, 2009

Norton Simon Museum

The Norton Simon Museum is one of those frequently overlooked museums here in LA. Yes, people think of it when they see the Rose Parade broadcast, when the floats and the bands really pull out all the stops while turning the corner at Orange Grove and Colorado, right in front of their location.

It is truly an amazing place, as the art seems so approachable. I certainly don't get this vibe at LACMA or MOCA. Here you can walk right up to Rembrandt, Monet, van Gogh, Picasso, and Diego Rivera (why doesn't he have one-name recognition?) paintings. And you can take a picture, without flash of course. I love that you can see the Degas paintings and bronzes displayed together, as usually they are presented separately. There's also a sculpture garden and the whole lower floor of Asian and Indian artwork.

Then there's the fact that this artwork came primarily from Mr. Simon's private collection. When I get to be a gazillionaire, I want to have my collections on display, too. My snowglobes and grease containers would draw in the crowds, I'm sure!
Link
Click here to go to their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment