Saturday, July 4, 2009

South Pasadena 4th of July Parade











I'm particular when it comes to Independence Day parades. See, I grew up in southern Indiana, and every year we went to the parade in Pekin, home of the longest running consecutive 4th of July parade in the U.S. (I'm aware that Bristol, Rhode Island has a similar claim, but I'm sticking with my hometown favorite!)

The South Pasadena 4th of July Parade is a hoot! Virtually every resident -- from school board members, council members, and city officials, to summer reading clubs, boy scouts, girl scouts, AYSO groups, school bands and cheerleaders, and the square dancers shown here -- is in the parade! The few remaining folks cling to the shady spots, cheer for "a-ooo-gas" from the classic cars, wave to the politicians, and clap for the participants. Good times for everyone!

And to kick-off the festivities, the Kiwanis Club hosts a pancake breakfast at the firehouse. My favorite feature is watching them mixing the batter with a paint mixer. Yep, I'll see you there next year for another viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment