Thursday, May 28, 2009

Papa Cristo's















So I was leaving my cardiologist's office and was planning to go to Helm's Bakery to hit the antique mall and have a late lunch. Once I realized I turned the wrong direction on Venice Boulevard and saw the traffic crawling on the 10, I immediately started to think about how I could salvage my drive back to the SGV. One second later I thought Papa Cristo's! I haven't been there in ages!! Papa Cristo's, on the corner of Pico and Normandie, is the ultimate Greek getaway sans passport. The travel posters and lively music set the mood. The pita bread is sinful, and the tzatziki (loosely translated as "food of the Gods") the best. And, not only do you get mounds of food - shown here is the gyros plate with the lemony roasted potatoes and salad - there's a food market and a bakery for any souvenirs you want to get through customs on your way out the door. I declined these temptations; after all, I was just at the heart doctor and baklava isn't recommended as part of his Mediterranean diet plan.

I was there on a Thursday afternoon, too early for the "Big Fat Greek Family Style Dinner" with the belly dancers, but I will be back. And you will hear about it!!

Click here to go to their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment