Friday, May 15, 2009

The Huntington















Of all the options to chose from at the Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens, I'm raising my hand for the Conservatory as my favorite. Granted, the Huntington is better known for the Gutenberg Bible, Pinkie and Blue Boy, the Greene and Greene gallery, plus the roses, cacti and the new Chinese Garden, in addition to special exhibits. But, I pick the Conservatory for it's hands-on exhibits and carnivorous plants! As a kid, I loved my Venus flytrap and was very intrigued by how it did what it did. Shown here are pitcher plants, which use a different method for the same bug-devouring outcome. I also like that you can smell vanilla or cinnamon, then get to see what the source plant looks like. Finally, the Conservatory looks like the building on the back of a nickel (AKA Monticello), so it's like walking into money! The Conservatory is located near the American Art building and the Chinese Garden.

Click here to go to their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment