Sunday, June 9, 2013

Indiana 2013: Squire Boone Caverns
















Woohoo! As some of you know, my snowglobe collection has taken a back seat to other compiling interests. Well, unless I can find a super swank one like this winner from Squire Boone Caverns!

Squire Boone is Daniel's younger brother and partner in lots of pioneering and wilderness exploration activities in the late 18th century. Squire and Daniel discovered these caves; they hid from raiding Indians inside them. Squire decided he wanted to make this area of southern Indiana (outside of Corydon) his home, so he built the grist mill you see artfully represented here. His little village has shops making soap, candles and candy the seriously old-school way. But, I was there for the cave and the new zipline!




















Now 90 feet below the ground, this is the column captured in the snowglobe imagery. Note the tourist in the lower right corner for perspective.




















And more perspective on the massiveness of the cave. The tour takes about an hour, and every view is amazing!














Then, 50 feet up in the treetops, some ziplining. My apologies that I don't have a better picture from this adventure, but photography wasn't an option while hanging on for dear life, screaming at the top of my lungs and zipping along at up to 35 miles an hour. That's me on the suspension bridge, still harnessed to the cable. It was quite a rush, and I look forward to more zipping adventures! Who wants to join me?!

Click here to go to Squire Boone Caverns' Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment