Wednesday, August 31, 2011

John Doe at the Grammy Museum

Such is my life: Philip Glass last night at the Hollywood Bowl and John Doe performing tonight at the Grammy Museum! Once again we have to go back to Indiana for these musical roots, this time for where it all began with John Doe. (That series of Hoosierland Influences I started back in June is taking on a life of its own!)

I'm not quite sure how I first heard of John and his punk rock band X. Yes, I had cable in the early '80s, when X was lashing out with "Los Angeles." Or, maybe it was the long-standing Rolling Stone subscription. Or, in 1986, when I worked at a rockin' radio station in Louisville, KY, where I frequently took home stacks of albums (again, the '80s!) by a wide range of singers, some who I knew and some who I came to know. In any event, I feel like I'm a longtime fan that somehow took hold in my Hoosier years.

Flash forward to 2011, and through Grammy Museum colleagues, several of us from the Skirball were invited to John's release party for his new album Keeper. I thought it would be a huge crowd, but there were only 226 seats in the Clive Davis Theater, so it was quite the intimate event. What started off in conversation ended with a rowdy show! I couldn't quite grasp that John Doe - with his 30 plus years of rock and roll attitude - was still wearing his suit jacket and tie while jamming. It was quite the visual disconnect, but the audio component was awesome! In any event, here's hoping for another 30 years of this music maestro!

Click here to go to John Doe's Web site.

Click here to go to the Grammy's Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment