Friday, November 5, 2010

Roosevelt Hotel

Last month, I went to my friend's short screening in Santa Monica and posted about my double-dipping at Rosti while I was on that side of town.

Tonight, I was invited to a fancy-schmancy Hollywood screening at Grauman's Chinese Theatre ("The King's Speech" was spectacular! I highly recommend it!), part of AFI Fest. Following the movie, there was an afterparty at the historic Roosevelt Hotel. Although I should've graciously departed so that I could get up and be perky for work the next morning, I needed a fix! I guess I'll catch up on my sleep another time.

The Roosevelt is a must pop-in while in Hollywood, if only to look up at the ornate ceilings and at the other architectural details. The Roosevelt is one of those LA hotels oozing in history. In 1929, it hosted the first Academy Awards, and Marilyn Monroe lived there for a couple of years in her early LA days. Allegedly, Marilyn never really checked out and continues to haunt the hotel. Montgomery Cliff supposedly hovers around, too, long after his death.

So whatever your interest - LA history, architecture and/or ghost hunter - stop in next time you're in the 'hood. Tell Marilyn and Montgomery howdy for me!

Click here to go to Grauman's Web site.

Click here to go to the Roosevelt's booking Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment