Saturday, October 3, 2009

Versailles Cuban Restaurant

I had a meeting this morning in the LAX area, then an afternoon birthday party for a 4-year-old in Culver City. Between the two, I knew I would need to power up. And by power up, today I meant Versailles for some liver and onions.

I'm a long-time fan of liver and onions, since the first time my Mom gave me a "you won't like it" response to my youthful question about what was sizzling in the cast iron skillet. Ever since that "I'll show you" bite followed by the iron-induced power surge throughout my body, I've been hooked.

Versailles has a magical way of preparing the liver - marinaded in a lemony-garlic sauce called "Mojo." Their sauce is sooo good that I even sop my plantains in it. The beans and rice serve as a pacer in the meal, even though the beans are quite delish on their own. And for all my years of eating there, I've barely cracked the menu. It's always been liver and onions, unless - egads! - they've already run out. Then I'll go for the pork in the Mojo sauce and schedule a return visit. Or, buy a bottle of Mojo and drink it in the car. Decide for yourself if I'm joking or not!

There are five Versailles locations: Venice/Motor, Pico/Robertson, Ventura Boulevard in Encino, Universal City Walk and Sepulveda Boulevard in Manhattan Beach. I've been to them all, and all are equally fabulous for the pursuit - or excuse - of powering up.

Click here to go to their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment