Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Corn Maze in Mission Hills

When was the last time you played in a cornfield? For me, it was childhood, at Granny and Grampa's farm in the Hoosierland. My siblings, cousins and whoever else was around would play hide-and-seek in the cornfield. We did lots of seeking, as you literally couldn't see the next row over.

Flash forward to 2009, to Forneris Farms in Mission Hills, and I'm home again in the cornfield with their fabulous maze. The gist is simple: follow the map to make your way through the pattern in the corn. Note in the picture, you start in the brim of the farmer's hat and wander through until you exit at the words Forneris Farms. Landmarks, such as the smile and the blades of the windmill, confirm you're on the right track. I was pretty much lost until I realized I was looping the zeros in 2009, then I jammed! Along the way, there are CORNundrums, which are "corny" riddles you answer for prizes such as jumbo pumpkins or cash. I am pleased to say I completed the maze in about 30 minutes, although I came up short on my CORNundrums. I even went back through to look for them. Dang, they were hidden well!

By the way, this cornfield is four acres, about the size of four football fields. During my visit, it was me, a boyfriend/girlfriend couple, and a mother and son traipsing through the acreage. I could occasionally hear them, especially when the couple "whipperwilled" to locate each other, and only saw them when we ran into each other. But not to worry, on the map is a help phone line just in case you can't find your way out.

So take your sense of adventure, your sense of humor, and your sense of direction to the corn maze! It closes November 1st.

Click here to go to their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment