Sunday, March 23, 2014

El Nosh and Cowboys & Turbans

This is a rare double-up post because it focuses on two fusion eateries I enjoyed in the the last few days. Fusion food LA-style generally means two foods or influences that aren't generally paired up. Unknowingly, I've been fusioning my food for many years; two of my classic duos are stale Fritos dipped in frozen chunky pineapple, and sautéed mushrooms with some Hershey Kisses melted on top. I know some of you have tried - and enjoyed - these treats with me!




















Up first is El Nosh, a Latin delicatessen, in food truck version. Here you see the a falafel taco with cabbage and tahini, and a pastrami burrito with some crunchy pickles, situated in front of their sombrero and serape-wearing and Chasidic Jew mascots. Y-U-M!! I heard the latkes were off the chart, and I'm bummed I overlooked the option. Next time!










Today, I enjoyed this Mexican-Indian flavor meld at Cowboys & Turbans. On the left is a masala veggie burger with spicy hot masala dipping sauce for the fries, and a lamb tikka burrito with curried-rice and mint throughout. In this plate the dipping sauce was firey hot. In short, the flavors were amazing and so well blended!!

I must note that Cowboys & Turbans was a bit difficult to locate; entrance is not off the parking lot with the big sign is. Go about a half-block east to find a wonderful patio with lots of mosaic-topped tables, twinkle lights, greenery and statuary. It's worth it! They are also in the process of changing their name to Flying Monkey, so it's also a challenge to find them online.

Click here for El Nosh Food Truck's Web site.

Cowboys & Turbans/Flying Monkey is located at 2815 Sunset Boulevard, LA 90026. Phone is 213-483-7778.

No comments:

Post a Comment