Friday, May 4, 2012

Sayon Bamba at the Skirball


I know, MORE pipes!

One of the great perks of working at the Skirball Cultural Center is the wild variety of world music I get to experience on a regular basis. This piper from Sayon Bamba's band came as a total surprise when you consider singer, songwriter and dancer Bamba is from Guinea, West Africa before she relocated to Marseille, France to gather this band of musicians.

Here you see Dominique Beven with his Breton bagpipe. You may notice his one drone versus the three on my Great Highlands. When I asked him "what is that?" and pointed toward his pipes, he finally got from my feeble attempt at French and gestures that I was a fellow piper and not a stalker. It also may have helped that I was toting my practice chanter with me. (Don't mock, I was actually heading home before I spotted the pipes and knew I had to stay.) Surprise number two came from Dominique playing a little Scottish jig on his tin whistle for me. Too cool!!

So that's three extracurricular piping activities in the last three weeks. How long can the streak continue?!

Click here to go to Sayon Bamba's Web site.

Click here to go to the Skirball's Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment