Friday, March 16, 2012

The Escondite















I can't keep March's burger a secret. It came from The Escondite, located at Boyd and San Pedro at the edge of Little Tokyo, and it's my new favorite place.

Escondite means hideaway, and let me set the scene: no markings on the building except for the street number "410," then there's the heavy wooden door with the speak-easy style slidey window. Inside, exposed brick walls with Outlaws of the West posters, antler chandeliers, burlap covering the window openings, a cigar store wooden Indian, and an saloon-style massive wooden bar. The '80s music blasting away and flat screen TVs remind us that we haven't time traveled to the old west.

Well, then there's the food. They have sandwiches and salads, but you know what I was here for! The burgers have '70s themes, like the Captain Kangaroo and the Boss Hogg. Being the Cruise Director, I had to go with the Gavin MacLeod, my beloved Captain Stubing from "The Love Boat." His burger is topped with crumbled bleu cheese, sautéed mushrooms and A-1 sauce. WOW!!

One other unexpected detail is the "spa water" infused with cucumber. There's no "just water" served at The Escondite!

My recommendation is to go now - right now! - before the downtown hipsters claim it for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment