Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Canter's Deli

Last March, I posted on Art's Deli in Studio City. Today, for the uninitiated, I bring you Canter's Deli on Fairfax. Here you see that I ordered the classic Reuben with pastrami, swiss cheese and sour kraut on toasted rye bread. Delish!

The family-owned Canter's has been in LA since 1931, relocating from Jersey City, NJ, after the stock market crash. They've been at this location since 1953. Jersey's loss was definitely our gain!

What makes Canter's different from Art's (and Junior's on Westwood) in the Jewish deli category is they're open 24/7, well, except for Jewish holidays. In my early LA days, Canter's was a great pitstop after enjoying a concert or late movie before heading home. The late night crowd was alway a hoot! The adjacent Kibitz Room bar just added to that fun.

I have to admit that I was "schooled" in Jewish delis at Carnegie in NYC. (Surprise! Nothing of the sort in my Indiana years.) I willingly continue my coursework, so let me know if I am overlooking any other great Jewish delis in LA.

Click here to go to Canter's Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment