Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Fish King

Fish King in Glendale is more than a fresh fish and poultry store. It is more than a quick lunch or dinner spot. It is more than an outlet for your prepared Thanksgiving turkey or Honeybaked Ham. It is all of these things!

It's the day before Thanksgiving and I met a friend at Fish King for some chow with a side of catch-up. Upon approaching their store on Glendale Avenue just north of the 134, I immediately saw multiple folks loading their cars with the paper crate sized boxes of food, sure to grace a festive table the next day. Once inside, I saw a massive fresh seafood and poultry counter, packed with last minute shoppers selecting the big day’s protein. Preordered cooked turkeys were available to those folks who planned ahead.

But, I was there for lunch. Just inside the doors is the charming Galley Deli. They call it a deli, but you won’t find a meat slicer or dill pickles here. There’s no pretense, either; you’ll see a big orange water jug on the counter, plastic utensils and nautical décor. Everything in the cases looked fresh and fantastic, and I had a hard time narrowing down my meal selection. I went with the charbroiled salmon with teriyaki sauce, coleslaw (with zesty pineapple and red peppers), and grilled zucchini. YUM!! I saw several diners with white styrofoam cups of clam chowder or lobster bisque. Non-fishy things like mac and cheese and cheesecake were also available. All seemed very happy with their choices, including me. Fish King rules!!

Here's an insider's tip: they also own the Honeybaked Ham store on Glendale on the other side of the 134. Pick your holiday order up here and avoid the crowds at the Vons/IHOP shopping center.

Click here to go to their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment