Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Lake Hollywood




















It's National Running Day (the first Wednesday each June), and, although I'm not running today, I am getting out for a nice walk. The destination is Lake Hollywood off Barham Boulevard.

I can't believe that I've never made this trek after living here almost 24 years! Today was a beautiful opportunity to take the 3.5 mile loop around the reservoir with multiple clear shots of the Hollywood sign, some wildlife: deer, waterfowl and turtles, and very few other people. YAY!!

For the history buffs out there, the Mulholland Dam was completed in December 1924. I was standing on the dam when I took this picture; it was designed to hold 2.5 BILLION gallons of water from the Owens Valley River Aqueduct and SFV groundwater. Note that it wasn't holding nearly that amount today, but you could see the water marks from our more fluid days.

On the other side of the dam, take a looksie for the concrete bear heads. I'm not joking!! Around another corner, you're overlooking Hollywood. Other views include some pretty incredible homes in the Hollywood Hills.

The reservoir is free to enter, and there's no charge for parking. Keep in mind that you can't get down to the water, as it is fenced off other than when you're standing on the reservoir. Who's with me for another loop or two?

Click here for more Lake Hollywood history.

No comments:

Post a Comment