Friday, December 23, 2011

South Pasadena Rose Parade Float

Shh! Here's a sneak peak at this year's South Pasadena Rose Parade float. When Life Gives You Lemons is the theme, and it showcases what happens when a space ship crashes into a grove of lemons. What else to do but make lemonade?

I volunteered today to decorate, and I got to fill in gaps in spiky seed pods. It will just look brown when you see it, but I contributed. Woohoo! The coolest part is when they backed the float out of the tent - no small task as you may imagine - to test run the moving parts and the sound. I'm not going to spill all the beans, but it was super exciting and impressive!

Speaking of beans, I've often thought float decorating could be a kind of personality test. In earlier float-decorating episodes, I've had friends who could spend hours gluing on beans ONE AT A TIME. I lasted about 30 seconds on that task and was reassigned to swashing huge areas with glue and patting statice on it. Now that's more like it! Today's spiky seed pods was a nice blend between those two activities. Who wants to give it a try and find out if you're a bean person or a statice person?

Click here to go to South Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade's Web site.

Click here to go to the Tournament of Roses' Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment