Saturday, October 8, 2011

Hollywood Forever

I have a random Saturday off. What did I choose to do? Join the Art Deco Society for their 28th Annual Hollywood Forever Cemetery Walking Tour.

I've been to Hollywood Forever for the film screenings shown on the crypt shared by Douglas Fairbanks Junior and Senior. Today, it was great fun to tour with the Art Deco Society docents to learn about the 112-year-old cemetery and the "inhabitants." Where else can you pay your respects to personal icons like Cecil B. DeMille, Rudolph Valentino, Carla and Alfalfa from "Little Rascals," Colonel Griffith J. Griffith, Don Adams, Toto, and Johnny Ramone?

From that party-pack, I'm selecting Johnny Ramone to represent here, highlighting my long-time fascination with the Ramones. I was first blown away (literally, remember when they blew up the school?) by them in 1979's "Rock 'n' Roll High School" movie and instantly was a fan. I got to see them live multiple times - including the punk-rock mecca CBGB - while living in NYC in the late '80s. Dang, what did I do with those t-shirts? The Ramones frequently appear on my mix tapes to this day, and now my teenaged nephews are fans. Hey ho, let's go!

Forever Hollywood is an active cemetery, and there were several services taking place during this tour. Which celeb would you like to be buried by?

Click here to go to Hollywood Forever's Web site.

Click here to go to the Art Deco Society's Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment