Sunday, June 2, 2019

Glasgow, Cave City, and Giants!




















I'm in Glasgow (KY) for the Highland Games supporting my peeps in the Louisville Pipe Band. I'm not yet competition ready, but I get to participate in performances with the more established pipers. Good times! I was also super excited when I realized that Glasgow is in the vicinity of two more summer bucket list items: Cave City Wigwams and Mammoth Cave. Let the roadtrip adventures begin!




















With the stay at Cave City Wigwams, I completed the "Sleep in a Wigwam" trifecta, since I've already snoozed at the other two in Rialto, CA, in 2010, and Holbrook, AZ, in 2015. (Those posts are available here: Rialto and Holbrook if you are interested in experiencing those adventures.) I'll be frank, Cave City was the least-well maintained of the three, and it seemed like the furniture was not original to the room because it did not fit the unique angled walls of a concrete wigwam. But, mission accomplished!

Click here for Cave City Wigwam's website.













The next morning, I had to race to Mammoth Cave to get a ticket for the Mammoth Passage Tour, which is limited to day-of purchases. I wanted to take a cave tour, without the crawling, claustrophobic confines of a real "cave" tour, and this one was it. The Passages Tour focused on the history of the caves, from a geologic and anthropologic sense, and was a starting point for the longer tours. It did not inspire me to put on a lighted helmet to take a more intense tour, but it was a really great experience to check off the list.

Click here for Mammoth Cave's website.


















Finally, on the drive back, I swung by Bernheim Forest to see the Giants! I will definitely return to Bernheim to explore more of the grounds now that I've been introduced to the happenings there, and will I plan for a less-crowded time.

Click here for Bernheim's website.

So, great roadtrip getaway, and several summer bucket list items checked off. Who is up for the next round of adventures?

No comments:

Post a Comment