Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Power of Poison at Indiana State Museum










I'm heading to Indy today to see The Power of Poison at the Indiana State Museum. It is an incredible exhibition, and I highly recommend it to everyone!

Set up in four sections, Poison in Nature, Stories of Poison, Detecting Poison, and Poison for Good, the poison perspectives really shook up my brain.

These are just a few of the highlights. I learned that amethyst (my birthstone!) jewelry was worn as protection against poisoning. The Roman Army was attacked with ceramic vessels filled with scorpions. Alice in Wonderland's Mad Hatter was inspired by Victorian-era hat makers who were poisoned by mercury. And, vampire bat saliva contains an anti-clotting agent (named Draculin!!) that helps protect against stroke. I KNOW!!




















I was also amused with their Farmers Market Cafe, and this beet and brie salad in a jar. Nothing poisonous here, and I felt all powered-up with quality food to explore the rest of the Museum.




















Permanent galleries include exhibitions woven with history, geology, and archaeology. I also look forward to going back to see the Puppet Studio. Who wants to make the drive with me?!

Click here for their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment