Friday, January 16, 2015

Homegirl/Homeboy revisited


I can't believe it's been more than five years since my post on Homegirl Cafe and Homeboy Bakery! I've been back, and I've bought the bakery's bread at the Autry's farmers' market, but it's time to share again the goodness coming out of this place. 

For starters, I had a glass of the spectacular Angela's Potion: lemonade with spinach and mint. I know!! Plus chips and salsa. Then a sampler of the tacos: pork carnitas with apple-tomatillo slaw and cilantro; carne asada with peanut/chipotle sauce, shaved lettuce, radishes and cilantro; and salmon with jalapeƱo pesto, pico de gallo and cilantro. Three amazing flavor combinations for $10! It's a tie between the carnitas and the salmon for best-of-show, but they were all delicious!


Since I was sampling anyway, I got a to-do box of the cookies by the pound. I'm not sure what all of these are, but the linzer and the chocolate-covered macaroon were especially tasty!

Once again, if you don't know the Homeboy story, it was started in 1992 after the LA riots. "Jobs not jail" is noted on the t-shirts and signage inside the building. They are doing amazing work, and the food is just one aspect of that. Make an effort to support this cause!


No comments:

Post a Comment