Saturday, February 22, 2014

Valley Relics

More Nudie suits! (Click here for the Sparkle & Twang post.) These are courtesy of Valley Relics, a new museum in Chatsworth focusing on San Fernando Valley history and institutions that aren't around anymore. Yes, there's lots of THERE there!

Love's Wood Pit Barbecue was one of the relics I recognized. I went to the Pico Boulevard location between 1994 and 1997, when I worked in Century City. This neon sign totally took me back to the Love's table with their incredible baked beans!

As I salivated over this long-gone menu, other guests viewed postcards, ads, catalogs, signs, banners, cars (a few of Nudie's!), Sting-Ray bikes, a farming wagon, a giant Thomas Brothers grid map, plus Animaniacs and Manny, Moe and Jack models, and a Bob's Big Boy. While I was there, a gentlemen brought in a menu that his grandmother stole and donated it to the collection; it has been in their family for more than 50 years. 

Then, when I was leaving, eight Model T-ish vintage cars pulled up, and the joyriders came inside. I'm sure they would have been a fun bunch!! In short, this is a really cool place, and it seems to have tapped a real nostalgic nerve for the SFV. They are only open on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., so plan your visit accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment