Monday, May 6, 2019

Dunes and Tulips Road Trip: Holland, Michigan



After maxing out on the Dunes, my next stop was Holland, Michigan for Tulip Time! For two weekends in May - and the days between - Holland celebrates everything tulips. There were Dutch-themed parades, concerts, cooking exhibitions, and tours for attendees to enjoy. I joined friends who had planned an extended stay, and I got to crash in their lovely cottage in Saugatuck, about 12 miles from all the action in Holland.



But first. some lunch. This is my spread from The Southerner in Saugutuck. (Check out the formica table!) I had to try the fried chicken, and our waiter recommended half Nashville Hot, and half Traditional. Both were delicious! I went with braised greens and a flaky biscuit as my sides. YUM!! On the walk back to the cottage, we planned our next activity: seeing some tulips!

Click here for The Southerner's website.

We could see a wide range of colors from the car, but we knew that a tulip farm was the way to go. Veldheer Tulip Gardens was both a garden and a marketplace, where you could select your varieties after touring the gardens and have the bulbs delivered in the fall for planting, in anticipation of spring blooms.

Here are just a few of the magnificent colors:







Lovely, huh?! I'm just going to see that my weeping eyes and running nose were totally worth this experience!!

Click here for Veldheer's website.



And my final food shout-out on this road trip is Scooters Cafe & Pizzeria, in the cute little shopping district in Saugatuck. It was recommended by a local artist, who eats at Scooters most days of the week. This baby is half Greek and half Margherita, and wholey cow delicious!

Click here for Scooters Cafe & Pizzeria's website.

It will be hard to go to work tomorrow, but I am totally recharged from the beauty of Dunes and Tulips!

No comments:

Post a Comment